Friday, March 9, 2012

Day 1: Dismal Swamp and Norfolk



I woke up this morning after a day of traveling.  By the way, some of the things I learned while traveling...I rather sit closer to the guys who smell like a fish market, than the lady hacking up a lung (too bad I was stuck between them.)  I also learned that while in Chicago, you need a black jacket AND a black hat...I also learned not to talk to the rental car attendant who is flirting with you, in the middle of the night...or something like, "I don't need to rent a mustang, cheap and easy is all I am after." may come out of my mouth..sheesh...

So back to the waking up thing...I woke up, early...and I mean early for Virginia and even earlier for Arizona, and it was raining, and had been raining all morning.  I had planned a day and a half of birding before Padmini came, and now it looked like a day was out.  I decided rain or shine, I needed an adventure!  So, where else would you head on such a day like this??? How about Dismal Swamp!  Sounds perfect eh?  It is a good birding spot and has a lot of history as a place where many slaves went to escape slavery, or to hide for awhile.  My first stop was too drizzly and muddy to go very far, and the park police suggested a different part of the park.

swamp in Dismal swamp.




leaves and reflections

moss and leaves

pretty leaves and water droplets


pretty drippy leaves


this is one of the paths I walked on, I thought it was amazing
 I started driving and stopped to take pictures of flowers and fields, and then lo and behold...is that a tanager?  I will never know, but what I do know is my quick move to the shoulder, very soft, soft shoulder, caused me to get deeply stuck in the mud.  Yes, ladies and gentlemen, if you remember to my last solo trip trip through Wyoming a similar problem happened, and I was saved by cowboys, Native Americans, and Mormons.  This time, I was saved by a couple and their jeep.  This made me think that perhaps I should consider getting back into the dating scene.  My dating profile could be: "woman seeking man who will drive while I bird, be patient while I take pictures, and make safe, thoughtful pull offs."  That should work huh?
blossoms


field of purple clover

wild daffodils

daffodils and droplets


So, I did get to the next stops and the rain slacked a little and I was able to see some of the birds I have longed to see, specifically the pileated woodpecker (with good birding karma from my brother Corey), red bellied woodpecker, tufted titmouse and white throated sparrow.  I was only able to get one picture of my target, and it wasn't very good, but that is what we can expect on a dismal day!


cypress reflections in the swamp


mas dismal swamp

spotted turtle


pileated woodpecker

I do not know where the colors came from in the water, but it was unusual and lovely

I loved the shape, texture and color of these leaves



I got back to my motel in time to see the sunset on the beach.  Pretty good day!!

It was a pink night


even the water had turned pink!



1 comment:

  1. WOW, Sara! These are fantastic! Renee Durfee (Merilee's mom)

    ReplyDelete