Sunday, March 11, 2012

Day Two: Chesapeake Bay

I decided to spend the day by crossing over the 10 mile or so Chesapeake Bay Bridge.  Again I repeat, I should not be birding and driving, but it is very difficult when you are driving over all that water, with all those birds.  Fortunately, there was no mud and no place to pull off, so I was safe, mostly, just glad there were no people in the other lane.

Merganser..I dig the spiky hair
My first stop was Kiptopeke state park.  Don't ask me to pronounce it, I don't have a clue.  I excitedly popped out of my car to walk the pier, but halfway there I realize that the cold air and strong winds were miserable.  I snapped a few pictures and jumped back in the car.  After I drove around for awhile, I decided to brave a walk in the hardwood grove next to the beach, hoping I would be sheltered from the wind.  I was, and it was a nice walk, I saw a few birds and a deer.  I eventually made it back to the beach, and the wind calmed down long enough for me to gather enough shells and crab remains to make my nieces and nephews happy

I then decided to head towards Cape Charles, because anything with cape sounds awesome.  It is a little beach town.   It had cute buildings and a sleepy atmosphere.  The wind had picked up again, and I jumped out of my car long enough to take one picture of the Bay.  Though I did find enough time to stop at one of the little restaurants and have Navy bean soup with Virginian Ham.  It hit the spot.

Cape Charles and the Chesapeake Bay
I headed back down and stopped at Eastern Shores National Wildlife Refuge.  I met a really cute docent couple, who gave me tips and showed me the ropes.  I took a walk to a world war two bunker that had been armed for battle, but never fired.  There wasn't a lot of bird or wildlife activity, but I did get to see a Carolina wren, who had a beautiful song.

Carolina Wren
I went back over the bridge and met up with Padmini.  We headed south to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  Our hotel is nestled between the beach and the Wright brothers memorial.




possible loon
Tuffted Titmouse(that is its real name)



marshes at Eastern Shores NWR
Pretty good day huh?  Not a lot of pictures to share, and most of them are not very good.  Shooting while shivering doesn't work out well.  :)

1 comment:

  1. The picture of the beach makes me homesick for Virginia! The kids and I would wander along a beach like that looking for shells. It was very relaxing. Too bad it was so cold for you! I also LOVED birding in Virginia. We had a bay window in our dining room that looked out on at tidal creek. Whenever there was any kind of change in the weather we would get all kinds of birds. I'm so glad you are enjoying your adventure!

    ReplyDelete