Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day four: The saga continues...a little bit of history, some lighthouses, a ferry ride and stuck in the sand.

Day four was quite a day!!!  We went to the southern part of the outer banks and I believe saw everything there is to see. We started off visiting the Wright's brothers memorial of the first successful flight.  It was a good morning workout up Kill Devil Hill!



Eastern bluebird at the monument eating a worm...I thought you would enjoy it...I have the one with him chewing if you want to see more...
 




 



 


 


 


 



 



 





We then headed  to Roanoke Island, intending on figuring out the secrets of the lost colony.  We both have our theories, but mine is the correct one, sorry Padmini.  The place was interesting, though, I can see why they left, not much to do.

 


This is the fort they built to hold off the Spanish invaders.  It is an impressive, 3 feet high and 20 feet across, take that Spanish invaders, that never came, or  never even really wanted to....


a majestic "Live Oak" and again...that is really its name...live oak...as opposed to???

 There also happened to be an English garden that was created in memory of the lost.  We wandered around breathing in the sweet subtle fragrance of camellia's and magnolias.  I enjoyed these smells so much I was pleased when several of the blossoms fell into my bag to remind me of the smell of the south. The garden was lovely to look around that it took me back to old England, and I found myself pretending I was in the gardens at Pemberly, which I must say is easier to play pretend in that garden than when I am walking around the desert, though it doesn't stop me.

 Camilla floating on the water









Pemberly


Italian renaissance fountain

 


We continued our journey onto Bodie Island to see the lighthouse.  The striking black and white lighthouse against the mashes was lovely.  We enjoyed a walk to the pier and got in a little bit of sun.  Padmini and I had our first fight of the trip as we were walking back and she happened upon a beetle that she found interesting and I found boring.  She accused me of not seeing the uniqueness of each little bug, but she was unable to sway me to her position.  We will never see eye to eye on this point, so please don't bring it up

Bodie Lighthouse


.

Our journey took us to the famous Cape Hattaras.  This long thin strip of barrier island offers views of sea and sound and a lot of dunes.  It is often difficult to get to see the water because of the size of the dunes.  Padmini, excited to see the view, pulled her car to the side to experience the beauty.  Unfortunately, she then joined the now infamous "stuck club" formed by me.  Yes, the seemingly solid ground was not.  Fortunately, a couple of blessed men with trucks stopped on their way to work and helped us out.  They were angels.

 


huh?


 













We started on our way again when I spotted the birds I had long been looking and hoping for...swans.  However, the previous experience of being stuck in the sand made us quite wary of pulling over.  We found a place that was a little bit of a jaunt, but Padmini, as the amazing friend that she is, went with me as we crossed over a narrow bridge and road to see the swans a little closer.  We couldn't get in very close, but I am adding the picture because of the work  involved  in getting there :)

see?!!  SWAN!


We hopped on over to Cape Hattaras lighthouse, which is a most impressive structure.  It is the tallest masonry lighthouse in the US, and was a model for many lighthouses around the world.  The black and white stripes around it with a pink support provided a lovely contrast.  It sat on the banks of the Cape Hattaras National Seashore, where we went and dipped our toes in the ocean and took another breath of sea air.

 

 


turtles
gray catbird...no, it isn't called that because it is cat bait...it makes meowing sounds


Our last adventure of the day involved driving on to a ferry and crossing the sound to Ocracoke Island. I was a little suspicious of this, cars on boats?  Furthermore, boat rides tend to bring out the, um, worst in me, because, uh, my stomach doesn't take it very well, as communicated to it by signals from the inner ear to the brain.  Well, most delightfully, it turned out to be a wonderful, non stomach churning experience!  woohoo!  It was fun to see the birds on the water, and following us and the fish boats, and just to feel the sea wind on our faces.  Loved it.





 
can you guess what they have in that boat?

oodles of birds (the official word for a group of birds)
We made it to Ocracoke Island lighthouse, without incident mind you, and found this quaint little white lighthouse.  It is the second oldest, still in operation lighthouse in the United States.  I was also taught that you pronounce Ocracoke, like "okra being followed with a coke."






did I mention Ocracoke was considered Blackbeard's island?  aye matey 'twas so, argh.

We spent a little more time on the seashore, and headed back at sunset on the ferry.  It was a jam packed adventure, but an amazing day.  We are now headed to Charleston, South Carolina .  Hope y'all come back now, ya hear?!



No comments:

Post a Comment